Sunday, August 30, 2009

a poem inspired by another poem that was written by a guy i don't know and inspired by a band i don't listen to. http://massculture.blogspot.com

Sometimes when I listen to music I
find myself moved by emotions
deep and opaque, and I have
no idea why.
but I think I figured half of it out.

It's the promise of comfort
in certain kinds of cadences.
I rarely find rage, or fury
in any song. usually
it's either triumph or sadness.
Sometimes everything will be ok.
When the chord changes the sun
will rise. We'll be in a safe place
with our friends.
There is no such thing as fear.

But sometimes that's
not the case.
Sometimes the resolution leaves more questions
than answers. Sometimes the singer is so drained
that by the end of the song
he cannot do it again.
But the final cadence to us is
that promise of comfort
because we can just hit the back button.
and listen to it one more time.

A while ago when he was recording it
the singer was overcome by everything
that makes him sing. but he's fine now.
The price is paid.
The song ends in a deceptive cadence but
music has never lied to me.
My body has. So has my family.
But never a synthesizer. A drum kit. A bass guitar.

Maybe the day I stop lying to my friends is
the day I can finally write good music.

No comments: