Tuesday, October 7, 2008

metropolis

i snapped (literally) and pretty pretty, it was aflame,
the whole goddamn building,
i told you i'm not good with precision,
and god, it howled

flames like me
they lick at my hands with their wet, hot little tongues
they run up and jump up on my legs and chest
and lick my face with their wet, bright little eyes

and they howl
not at the moon
they howl at the whole goddamn world

i like the warmth, and cold will kill me one day
(i promise you that, motherfucker the whole goddamn
building is ablaze — don't you dare tell me it's my fault.
i'm the one who's dying
in the inferno
the inferno likes me, it burns like a fever,
and when it sees me, it explodes)

i can't see the floor it's
two feet in front of my face, the heat and the blindness
smoke, sweat pouring off my back, all together now:
you're one serious fuckup, damien! now god PLEASE
GET ME OUT OF HERE.

it's so cold that i can see the mist
of my breath
in front of my face

it looks like cigarette smoke

for obvious reasons

good evening.
i'm damien.
i'm the fire man
(not the fireman)

and one day i'll stop dreaming.

(thank god for cloudy nights. the sunset is enough to break me
into a million desperate little pieces.)

1 comment:

Annie-Laure said...

i really like this, particularly the end.