Friday, January 25, 2008

song of myself: third installment

10
It is yet more difficult to forget that time
when we held hands like children, and it was the truth;
honesty poured through our ribs and fell at our feet,
and in it we glimpsed our smiling reflections;
and even though I lied to you later
(and for that I am sorry)
I want to tell you this, because this is true:
I love you.

11
If one of my eyes was green instead of brown, would you like me better?
If I had a voice the size of the universe, would you like me better?
If I could stand up without folding myself down again, would you like me better?

12
I don't know who you are, but I would take a bullet for you.
That is true. I love you a thousand times more than I love myself. That is true.

13
I tripped over my own bones again and shuddered at them;
Those gaping sockets in the skull, that screeching maw,
I'm so ugly on the inside.
I was thinking about whether it's nature or nurture;
I scan this half-decayed place we call "home"; I touch the ailing twists in me;
I know it's both.

No comments: