Friday, January 25, 2008

song of myself, fourth installment

(minor note: the first bit is really there just to fit into the assignment, so I don't like it and it might get nixed. bah.)

14
I looked to my fellow countrymen for comfort
but all I found there was a pretty frame of wagging fingers,
so I dyed my hair and wore bright clothing to distract them;
I told them, "I don't need your approval" and I wasn't lying;
but why do I continue this forced march
in search through the fog of a temple's foundations
because it would confirm my wish that once,
people said things that were hopeful and loving?

15
I was going to attempt to smile at you,
but when my face crawls up from beneath the mirror,
my eyes stutter when they speak,
and my mouth writhes and seizes as it catches sight of a thought;
color like a curled crocus spills across my cheeks;
my spine is too effete for this; I retreat again and again.

No comments: