Tuesday, March 15, 2011

romance dreams

I listen to the mail truck driving away,
a little sad, and fold my hands,
give a little smile. My friend smiles back
knowingly. We both know what it's like
to sort of be in love with someone, then
listen to them drive away every night
with no gesture of returned affection.
To see them every day, support them,
become vital to them, even, when
the time requires it. To see them
bravely defend you with no inch of give.
And then they leave.
Behind me, outside the loading bay,
I hear an engine idling. But my eyes
stay firmly glued to the riveted floor.
I do not dare look for fear of having
all my fallen-in hopes erased.
But I see my friend staring past my shoulder
so at last I turn and look.
And it's him.
Returned, for some reason.
He leans out the mail truck door
and smiles at me, and I lose myself a little.
And then he is suddenly very close to me
but it is fine. It is all fine.
Being so comfortable with each other.
Content to do the depending this time.
And being absolutely sure
that this is it.

(in sum: after having terrible dreams forever, I FINALLY had a happy dream. A romance dream, to be exact.
Too bad it would also have made good fanfiction material. I don't know where that came from lol.)

No comments: