Saturday, May 24, 2008

buried

i woke up in the backseat of a car
the earth stifled us on all sides
(yes, you were there too)
and i couldn't remember anything for
the fog in my brain that some strange demon
had breathed just for fun;
but you called down the lightning
and heaven hauled us out of there, so
thank you.

but then

i woke up in the backseat of a car
this time, the air was free and plenty
and you were telling me how the honesty spilled
from my fingers and the backs of my eyes.
we drove toward a sea-green sky split with
crawling black branches that caged me in,
but let you drive;
you opened the door so i would tumble out
and you told me, "goodbye, this isn't your fault,"
but where'd you go?

i stopped waking up
and lay there on the dirt road
thinking about explosions that would destroy this place.

1 comment:

Ianthe Wilde said...

it's got a sort of apathetic desperation in it. in a good way. i like.

also, if i subconsciously blame men for all the worlds ills, it's a product of the life i've led. or possibly from reading "the feminine mystique" this week. (hey! that rhymed... i know what that means!) but it isn't purposeful.